Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Recognized, Sort of, for the First and Second Times

Last night my friend Stephanie, who will be showing her paintings at Retrofit Home in July, picked me up from work and took me to the opening of the store's June show, featuring the work of Todd Karam.

IMG_4496

IMG_4498

I introduced myself to Todd (whom I've e-mailed before) and told him I bought a painting from him several years ago.

"The one with the two chairs, right? I saw it in your blog."

Apparently, he'd tracked some of his site's visitors back here, and checked it out. He told me he'd read about my fight with the neighbor about the arborvitae and that he and his wife enjoyed the plant photos.

Later, my husband and I went next door to the new La Spiga for dinner. We were told there was a 45-minute wait, so we started milling around the bar, wondering how to occupy ourselves, and a woman got up from the bar and introduced herself with her first and last names.

Even though it happens all the time, I still get embarrassed when I don't recognize people whom I really should know. But I really wasn't placing this Jennifer person. Was she a former coworker, classmate, a friend of a friend?

"From the blog," she said.

Then I knew who she was right away -- a Beacon Hill neighbor who I've been e-mailing back and forth with. She and her husband were on date night at La Spiga. You can't see them, but they're sitting at the bar here.

IMG_4593

She recognized us from the photos in the last post.

Anyway, it was very cool to meet them, and I hope to see them again at the upcoming Beacon Hill Garden Walk on June 24.

OK, since this is a snapshot blog, I'm going to get back to work and show you photos of the wine list and then a bunch of strangers passing by the front of the gorgeous new La Spiga space.

(I got the Tocai and Insolia.)

IMG_4597

IMG_4601

IMG_4608

IMG_4609

IMG_4614

IMG_4617

IMG_4618

IMG_4620

IMG_4622

IMG_4623

IMG_4634

IMG_4636

IMG_4643

IMG_4645

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

It was fun for us meeting you and your husband, too! Hope you enjoyed your meal. We did :)

I didn't realize that Retrofit Home was having a showing last night, or I would've checked it out. I used to be on their e-mailing list, but I haven't gotten an evite in a while. Hmmmmmm. Anyway, that's one of my favorite stores in Seattle, and I pop in there whenever I get the chance.

Hope to see you around again soon :)

chuck b. said...

Hilarious!