Friday, June 22, 2007

A Walk from Downtown to First Hill to Little Saigon to Beacon Hill

Not an auspicious opening photo, but I had to snap this one so I'd remember to look up the term "vehicular sally" later.

IMG_4962

Walking up First Hill now.

IMG_4964

I peek through the window of this cathedral and am startled to see a cut-out of the pope.

IMG_4965

Seattle University. I think the last time I was on this campus was like 1990 or so, when my very favorite Portland band was opening a free outdoor show for a cute, popular Seattle band that I had decided to despise. I hated their power-pop melodies; I hated their legions of fawning, starry-eyed fans; and I really hated that I had to go to their stupid show in order to see the band that I liked.

I cheered through the band I liked, of course, but then I decided to wait around half an hour for the hated band to start, just so I could walk out halfway through their first song, showing them they hadn't won the heart of every teenage girl there that day. What a bitch!

Anyway, as things turned out, years later, I ended up marrying one of the guys playing in the hated band. (Babe, I'm so sorry for walking out on you guys that day -- that was mean. I love you so much.) He's since told me that sometimes he used to get paranoid that there was this big group of music fans who hated his band and that there was this big conspiracy against them -- um, nope, that was just me!

IMG_4970

Apparently Seattle used to have a "Mohawk Apartments." Now we have Haitian food.

IMG_4971

Seattle Men's/Women's Chorus has a nice perennial border.

IMG_4972

A-ha. So here's where juvie is.

IMG_4973

My favorite deciduous shrub.

IMG_4974

I took this photo so I would remember to look up "hawala" later on.

IMG_4976

Lloyd's Rocket! I've been wanting to go here. I like their planters.

IMG_4978

It used to be a gas station; now it's a bar. The portraits inside look like they might be a tribute to Seattle's old jazz scene, which used to be centered around here.

IMG_4979

Hypertufa planters? Not as cool as the rusty steel ones, but still nice.

IMG_4981

IMG_4982

IMG_4983

Now we're in Little Saigon.

IMG_4991

Hau Hau Market.

IMG_5005

Some of the stuff I recognize.

IMG_4992

Some I don't.

IMG_4993

IMG_4994

I ate a chicken foot on a dare at dim sum once. It was disgusting.

IMG_4995

Grass jelly.

IMG_4997

Basil seed, chrysanthemum, and pennywort drinks.

IMG_4998

IMG_5000

IMG_5003

IMG_5004

You see lots of guys carrying bedding around here. They sleep in the green belt, a.k.a. the Jungle.

IMG_5006

Looking back at downtown as I cross the bridge to Beacon Hill.

IMG_5014

The Jungle, I-90. It just occurred to me that this coming-together of on-ramps is essentially the very start of I-90, the longest interstate in the country. It ends in Boston. (One could also say that it starts in Boston and ends here, I suppose, but that doesn't seem right to me.)

If you know where to look, you can see the Starbucks headquarters in the distance.

IMG_5015

Amazon.com headquarters.

IMG_5018

One more stop before I head home. Red Apple Market is the only grocery store on Beacon Hill. I used to be too fancy for it, but now I kind of love it.

IMG_5024

Yum and yum.

IMG_5025

In the Mexican section.

IMG_5027

In the Filipino section.

IMG_5028

IMG_5029

But this is what I'm here for.

IMG_5030

We're going to a party tonight. The Kris Pinot Grigio and the Taurino Salice Saliente are nice, but I think I can do better. I have the whole day to waste, after all, and it's not even noon yet.

IMG_5031

IMG_5032

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I *love* the Red Apple. For big grocery trips I usually go to QFC, but I'm always stopping by RA to pick up this or that. Have you ever gotten anything from the deli hot counter? YUM. And my kids love that we can get Pocky there.

Also, a friend gave me the Kris Pinot Grigio last week and--although I'm not really a white wine drinker--I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

chuck b. said...

Oh, I could have told you what hawala is. Yeah, I'm reeeaaalllly smart.

Ugh, durian is horrible. Tho' I've never had it fresh. You're supposed to eat it just one or two days off the tree, and no later. You'd have to go to Asia to do that because they're flown to the US.

Also, my Vietnamese friend Dat told me the nuns in his Catholic school made naughty children kneel on durians for punishment. Barbaric Catholic nuns!

JvA said...

My dad went to Catholic boarding school in Holland, but the monks there weren't that creative -- they just beat the children.

chuck b. said...

I think some kids need an occasional beating. It's not about violence to them, it helps structure the mind. Nothing serious, just enough to engage the senses and activate different chemical channels in the brain.

Bob said...

Beautiful shots of what a great area we live in.
all the best, Bob

greenlaker said...

just happened upon your blog here after a google search for the beacon hill garden tour I thought I'd heard about...and have been captive for the last half hour. Your photos and captions are fantastic! I love the voyeur's tour of Ciscoe Morris's garden.

Thanks! I'll be back!

JvA said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Greenlaker! I promise I'll have some photos from today's garden walk up by end of day tomorrow. (And possibly tonight.)

Did you make it there, by the way? I did, and we had a great time. Some of those houses on 12th were incredible.

Christina said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog via Capitol Hill Seattle and have really enjoyed digging through the archives, especially this post. Thanks!