Sunday, July 29, 2007

Trip to Toronto: Hotel Bar (The End!)

The last afternoon of our trip, we finally visited the Consort Bar in our hotel, the Royal Meridien King Edward. We stayed there because we got a sweet Expedia package deal, and Frommer's made it sound OK:

At one time, the King Eddy was the only place in Toronto that Hollywood royalty, such as Liz Taylor and Richard Burton, would consider staying. In the 1980s, after many years of neglect, a group of local investors spent C$40 million (US$32 million) to rescue it. The result recalls its former glory, with rosy marble columns and a glass-domed rotunda dominating the lobby. Although the guest rooms aren't what I'd call spacious -- 28 to 33 sq. m (300-350 sq. ft.) is standard -- their uniformly high ceilings give them a sweeping grandeur that is unusual. The rooms are also charmingly appointed. Unlike rooms at many competitors, where you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference among them, these guest rooms have been decorated with a personal touch. The bathrooms are particularly nice, with large marble tubs.

...

The wood-paneled Consort Bar is wonderfully clubby, and its 2.5m-high (8-ft.) windows afford fun people-watching while you sip a champagne cocktail. It's got a surprising long menu, which includes everything from crispy calamari to thin-crust pizzas.


We ordered Niagara wines and an amazing cheese plate instead of champagne, squid, or pizza.

IMG_7087

IMG_7154

But we did a lot of that fun people-watching.

IMG_7157

IMG_7163

IMG_7180

IMG_7181

IMG_7191

IMG_7200

IMG_7201

IMG_7203

IMG_7204

IMG_7235

IMG_7245

IMG_7251

IMG_7255

IMG_7256

We drank too much Niagara wine at a friend's house that night.

IMG_7281

And almost ate $6 candy bars from the hotel minibar at midnight. But decided to go out and find cheaper, more substantial food instead. Pizza Pizza.

IMG_7287

We barely made it onto the plane the next morning. Southern Ontario is lovely, but I was glad to see the Cascades again.

IMG_7297

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

There's no place like home.

So how does Toronto compare to Montreal in your view?

Does your husband know you blog?

JvA said...

I'd recommend visiting Montreal over Toronto.

I've been told that Toronto is a food and shopping city, and in those two respects Montreal is even better (especially for clothes shopping -- Montreal has lots of local designers).

Plus, Montreal has a beautifully preserved old town and just more interesting architecture in general.

The people in both cities are really nice, and in Montreal, we found some people who didn't speak English and were willing to chat with us in French, which was fun. But if you don't speak French, you'll have no trouble getting along.

And Montreal has its own Space Age tower on the outskirts of town; I forgot what it's called.

Yeah, my husband knows I blog. I even gave him the URL!

steph said...

Do people ever ask you if you just took their picture?

JvA said...

No one's ever asked me that.

In these photos, the people had no idea. I think it's hard to see in the glass as you walk by when it's bright out.

Anonymous said...

I just looked at your pics and read your blog about your trip to T.O. We were just there about a month ago! And we live in Seattle.

I lived and worked in Toronto for 16 years and I consider it home. You're right about the Cascades tho. Toronto has no mountains :-(

I hated Toronto at the time that I left there in 2004. When we went back for that week vacation I had a great time and was bemoaning the fact I didn't live there anymore.

Now that I'm back in Seattle I'm glad I'm not in T.O!!!

You used to have instructions for making glass bubble magnets on here, right? I read that over and over til I could make the magnets in my sleep!

And you're a knitter, too? Are you in a Stitch 'n' Bitch?

Kim