Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Corson Building

For the record, I am not in the know, at all, about Georgetown (or Beacon Hill, for that matter). I don't attend monthly community meetings with the legitimate activists, and I don't run with any of the cool kids, either. I'm flattered that other blogs have started linking to mine as if it were a real neighborhood blog, but I just thought I'd take the opportunity to remind you that my only qualification is that I always have my camera on me. I'm so out of the loop that I'm practically a tourist. (In fact, today I am wearing a shirt that I got at the Space Needle gift shop.)

IMG_9982

So when one of Food and Wine's top 10 new chefs of 2007 started setting up shop in Georgetown this year, of course no one sent me the memo. Today over at Smarty Pants I finally read about it, three days after the rest the city did, in an article in The Stranger.

Matthew Dillon had a busy summer. He's been killing pigs, cooking for heroes, keeping bees, and secretly planning his new restaurant. He was also named one of Food & Wine's 10 best new chefs, based on his existing restaurant, tiny Sitka & Spruce (first raved about insanely in these pages). If Sitka & Spruce's location--in a strip mall on Eastlake Avenue, next to a Subway--is improbable, the location of Dillon's new restaurant is, in many respects, absurd. It's very nearly under a freeway off-ramp, very nearly on a set of active train tracks, and directly beneath the flight pattern for a nearby airfield. The name of the building--and the name of the restaurant, in a stroke of good sense that would've eluded many--is right on it, in capital letters: THE CORSON BUILDING. It's in Georgetown, a less absurd place for a destination restaurant than it used to be, but still unlikely. To make what might seem like a rash prediction (but isn't), it will be absurdly great.


But I'm happy to illustrate this old news for you. This is going to be a fancy restaurant open two days a week, reservations only.

IMG_0059

I like that weird iguana thing on the window sill. Creepy.

IMG_0061

I wonder if the lizard was placed there in the 1920s, when this building used to house an ornamental stone business. (I can't really tell in this photo from 1997.)

The original owner/ builder of this residence has not been determined. It is known that the house and grounds were the site of the Italian Architectural Art Company, a manufacturer of ornamental cast stone work owned and operated by Bernardo Germani. The property exhibits cast stone ornament indicative of this use which is assumed to have been added c. 1925 when the property was purchased and remodeled by Bernardo Germani.


They're going to cure meat here. I approve. And I assume they'll be making honey from these bees that they're keeping in the back.

IMG_0064

I can't wait to check it out.

2 comments:

chuck b. said...

This post...rocks.

steph said...

Hey - Jim A and I used to have band practice in the building next door and I would always watch the people who lived (or worked?) in that weird little building. Bill Nye the Science Guy filmed a segment right by there. Good to know.