Friday, September 28, 2007

Neighbors of Extreme Makeover

Yesterday I found out that a friend of mine in Kirkland is getting a close look at how reality TV shows really operate. My friend lives by this nice Kirkland woman who's getting her house rebuilt for free on national TV.

Apparently the caterers, contractors, TV people, whoever, pressured my friend to let them park all over the lawn, with explanations like "All the other neighbors were fine with it, what's your problem?" I think my friend worked out some sort of deal with them, and I'm sure everything is fine now, and I'm sure they're all lovely people, but it is kind of funny to look at this P-I story and consider the viewpoint of close neighbors who would also have been very surprised on Wednesday to hear about their neighbor's good luck.

The Highlands Park neighborhood of north Kirkland will be the focus of some highly intensive gawking for the next few weeks. There'll even be tour buses lined up to shuttle the curious.


I don't believe they offer to "whisk" neighbors out of town:

The project, at 10203 116th Ave. N.E., began Wednesday when Chapin was informed of her good luck. She and her children were then whisked out of town so the work can begin.


I don't know. It just seems a little unfair that the people getting the free house are relaxing in some fancy hotel somewhere out of town, while the neighbors have to put up with not just the construction noise, but also tour buses full of hooters and hollerers until 9 o'clock every night.

Kirkland officials have cordoned off the area around Chapin's home, and some streets will remain closed while the project is under way.

Spectators are encouraged to hoot and holler as only a TV network can encourage a crowd. But they must use a free shuttle bus to get there, a service that doesn't begin until Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily through Oct. 3, from Kirkland's Everest Park, 500 Eighth St.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The damage of some neighborhood yards is not worth the blessing this project is going to be for the Chapin family. I would give up my entire front yard to help someone struggling to give their children a safe home to live in. Plants will grow back.