Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Beacon Hill Elementary to Become International School

The Times and P-I are reporting that Beacon Hill Elementary is going to start offering immersion courses in Spanish and Mandarin starting this fall. The school will also have an English-immersion program for non-English speaking students.

Bueno!

In unrelated news, it looks like the city is not going to go after Councilmember Richard McIver for allegedly assaulting his wife. His wife has recanted her story and now claims she lied to police about the assault because she was mad at him. Hmm. Seems to me that one of them should face charges -- him for committing the crime, or her for lying about it.

In other unrelated news, it looks like the SPD has found a person of interest in the Shannon Harps murder. I wasn't going to say anything about this because it's already gotten so much media attention (so much more than any South End murder ever would, even when the victim is a 14-year-old boy). But I hope they found their man. I didn't know Shannon, but through my local Sierra Club work last year, I know people who knew her, and I know that she had dedicated her life to helping the world. There are not many people like that. I want to know that the person who took her away from us does not get to go free.

2 comments:

LM said...

I think this is great news. I am not sure if my son would do well in a split classroom- but it is exciting. Another Beacon Hill school- Maple Elementary has been in the news re: National Blue Ribbon Winner for Excellence. See fun article: http://www.pacificpublishingcompany.com/site/tab3.cfm?newsid=19183055&BRD=855&PAG=461&dept_id=515262&rfi=6

susan said...

Im, my son went to Maple, and it was an excellent experience for him. He went on to the APP program at Washington M.S. and graduates this year from Garfield. Beacon Hill, Kimball, and Maple have consistently provided top-notch public education in a multi-cultural setting. I think our B.H. elementary schools are among the best in the city. The middle schools, however, uh, not so much ...