Friday, February 8, 2008

98108: Not Politically Generous

Totally ripping off Metroblogging tourney competitor Capitol Hill Triangle, I took a look at the federal campaign contributions from residents of the 98108 and 98144 zip codes over the last several months.

As far as I can tell, the combined total of all 98108 contributions from Sept. 1, 2007, until now (or whenever the last reports came in) was a measly $8,000! Our friends to the north in 98144 donated $66,468 in the same period.

No wonder the pols tend to ignore us poor folks down here.

Also weird: most of the money from 98108 went to Republicans! (Brian Davis is Minnesota GOP.)

FRIENDS OF FRED THOMPSON INC -- 250.00
DISTRICT NO. 1-PCD MEBA POLITICAL FUND (MEBA-PAF)-- 225.00
NOVICK FOR SENATE -- 500.00
OBAMA FOR AMERICA -- 200.00
FRIENDS OF DAVE REICHERT -- 300.00 + 2300.00
ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT INC. -- 250.00
NATIONAL RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION PAC -- 1000.00
OBAMA FOR AMERICA -- 500.00
NATIONAL REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE -- 300.00
RUDY GIULIANI PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE INC -- 200.00
REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE -- 275.00
DARCY BURNER FOR CONGRESS -- 200.00
EMILY'S LIST -- 250.00
BRIAN DAVIS FOR CONGRESS -- 500.00
BRIAN DAVIS FOR CONGRESS -- 500.00
OBAMA FOR AMERICA -- 250.00

Total Contributions: 8000.00

I didn't find anything that interesting within the much longer list of individual contributors for 98144--most of them were donating to Obama.

-----------

Like this post? Vote for me, dude!

5 comments:

Darcy said...

The pols don't actually ignore Beacon Hill and Georgetown. State Representative Zack Hudgins, for instance, regularly visits people and businesses in Georgetown, which he represents.

On the other hand, neither is in the 8th Congressional District, so I swing by mostly to pick up buttonmaking supplies at Buttonmakers.net, which is one of my favorite Georgetown businesses.

the paper noose said...

Hasegawa has been pretty responsive in the 11th. He was a teamster--part of the progressive TDU slate in local 174, and he still maintains his membership in one of the building trades unions. It's always good to note the exceptions, when someone not only doesn't forget, but embraces his/her roots. He's even dropped by a GCC meeting last year during the Battle of Garbage Royale.

JvA said...

I met that dude last summer and enjoyed having a beer with him. (Though I think I was the only one drinking beer.)

Of course, I took a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8024221@N03/713213108/

steve said...

I don't think it's overstating things at all to say the pols ignore Beacon Hill. Ok, maybe Hasegawa and Hudgins keep half an eye on what's going on, but I'm thinking more on the local level. I think if there were a way to track City of Seattle capital expenditures by neighborhood (I don't know if there's a way to do this) for basics such as street repairs and maintenance, police service, parks maintenance, (or KC expenditures on bus service!) etc we would see BeHi lags far behind wealthier neighborhoods with more voters and more political contributors. Not surprising I suppose given what you found in the contributions reporting, but unfortunate. It'd be nice to feel like my opinion mattered if I were to talk to the mayor or a city councilperson, but coming from this neighborhood, we have no voice.

litlnemo said...

Since we have at-large City Councilpeople, that is part of the problem. No one is specifically elected to City government to represent us. I grew up north of the Canal; I know how people from the north end think of SE Seattle. They think the whole thing is a slum and beneath their interest, basically. And I think some of that does carry through to our city government. They don't spend time down here (I suppose Norm Rice was the exception since he lived/lives? in Mount Baker :) ), and they don't get money from us either, therefore... we don't exist.