Monday, May 5, 2008

Partying with the Beacon Hillbillies

In a moment, I'll get to my latest semi-topical post, but first a few totally random shots.

Sunday dinner at Jules Maes a week ago.

IMG_1377

My friend Renata listening to my husband at an exhibition of her photography at Fremont Art Walk on Friday.

IMG_1381

My orange juice and soda at El Camino later that night. Funny how by the end of the second trimester, you can romanticize even non-alcoholic drinks, if they're enjoyed with a group of friends in nice lighting.

IMG_1385

IMG_1387

OK, back to Beacon Hill. Here's a most gorgeously overgrown yard sorta near McPherson's on Saturday.

IMG_1390

I was in the area for a glorious Kentucky Derby party at the home of the Beacon Hillbillies. I've been talking about it pretty much nonstop ever since.

IMG_1391

Jen went all out with the topical hors d'oeuvres, complete with notecards and everything.

IMG_1392

IMG_1393

IMG_1401

It was pretty much the perfect party. Dave made mint juleps, of course.

IMG_1396

IMG_1397

Everyone was encouraged to wear a hat and place a $5 bet on their favorite horse.

IMG_1412

Two others had already bet on the filly, so I picked Gayego because it started with "gay."

IMG_1414

Waiting through the last commercials...

IMG_1415

Then they're off!

IMG_1417

IMG_1418

IMG_1419

Big Brown wins!

IMG_1423

IMG_1422

(And I could not take a picture of the collapsed filly, Eight Belles, on the screen. Poor thing. We were all wondering what was up, but in retrospect, I'm glad NBC chose not to show us more.)

Arthur won the men's hat competition and got a bottle of Basil Hayden's to take home, hurray!

IMG_1424

Thanks for a great party, Jen and Dave! (If you invite me next year, I am SO winning the ladies' hat competition. I'm working on my concept already.)

IMG_1426

I'll bookend this post with more random photos.

Sunset in Everett on Saturday.

IMG_1436

And Ceanothus by U Village.

IMG_1438

IMG_1440

8 comments:

chuck b. said...

A theme party with prizes and interesting food--I would be talking about it constantly too. (Hi, Arthur!)

Chris said...

I always think of you when I go by that drift of ceanothuses!

uppergeorgetowner said...

omg - midbeaconhill, that's my crazy overgrown yard. Jen and Dave are my neighbors. Over the years I've planted only things that can survive without being watered, and stopped shaping plants and trees unnaturally. Its like the food of the gods movie where everything is supersized - especially those Euphorbium.

Jennifer said...

So glad you and Arthur had a good time -- it was truly a lot of fun.

By the way, would you like any potato salad or Benedictine? How about some Derby Pie? I HAVE LEFTOVERS.

Also, hi uppergeorgetowner! I can't place your yard and it's driving me crazy :) Anyway, I'll be looking out for you during our next neighborhood walk :)

uppergeorgetowner said...

jennifer - I'm north of you, just past the Y in the road. I drive a prius and walk the little boston bulldog.

Jennifer said...

Yes! Good Lord I can't believe I couldn't place that yard when I have a photo of it somewhere myself. I'll be sure to say hi the next time I see you walking (we have a new puppy, too).

Jennifer said...

Yes! Good Lord I can't believe I couldn't place that yard when I have a photo of it somewhere myself. I'll be sure to say hi the next time I see you walking (we have a new puppy, too).

Jennifer said...

Oops. Sorry for the double commenting.