Sunday, June 29, 2008

Snapshots from the Inaugural Sunday Supper at the Corson Building

After peeking through the fence so many times, it was fun to finally get a chance to eat at the Corson Building.

They've come a long way since the start of the year. January:

IMG_2822

Yesterday:

IMG_4394

Sunday nights they're doing a fixed-menu, family-style meal -- Sunday Suppers. Tonight was the first.

IMG_1792

IMG_1760

They served dinner outside.

IMG_1759

IMG_1768

IMG_1766

IMG_1764

IMG_1765

They encouraged us to walk around before dinner, and they brought us oysters and iced tea. We ended up sitting by that cool, good-looking couple in the photo, at left. And we sat across from the Belle & Wissel owner and his wife (another cool, good-looking couple), and Curt Doughty, whose photographs are part of the "Accidents Will Happen" exhibit that's there right now. (He's also cool, also good-looking, etc. The whole table was a pretty attractive bunch, and I bet they all vote regularly and clean up after their dogs too.)

IMG_1786

While everyone else toured the grounds, I loitered near the table so I could grab one of the seats with its own chair. If you looked like the freaking Venus of Willendorf, as I do now, you'd understand.

IMG_1777

Dinner was amazing, of course. I forgot what all we had, though I do remember rabbit liver pate, rabbit legs, king salmon, lovage, fava beans, ham and apple salad, morel mushrooms, baby carrots, strawberries, and fancy cheese.



IMG_1799

I want to come here for dinner every Sunday night.

IMG_1802

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the feedback and photos! My adult family of five has reservations for this coming Saturday and my excitement is growing with each new review I peruse.

How is the Sunday Supper different from dinners on other nights? I was under the impression that all of the meals are fixed-menu and communal, $110 w/wine and $80 w/o.(http://www.chowhound.com/topics/532380)

Thanks again!

JvA said...

I think the Friday and Saturday dinners are served indoors by candlelight, and the food is probably fancier.

I think Sunday Supper is more casual, and you buy your wine by the glass from a small selection. Last night there was one rose and two reds to choose from, and they were $8 - $11 a glass, I believe.

Sunday Supper -- or at least our dinner last night -- was $50, not including wine.

Anonymous said...

I HOPE this is a parody, but
not sure.

Now, will baby rabbits and frogs
legs be a Sunday staple?

It looks gorgeous, but......gag!

femurface said...

I want to do this! Communal dining is where it's at.

Anonymous said...

I’m responding to “Anonymous’s“ comments of “gag.” You’re so wrong! The inaugural Sunday Supper was fabulous. There is a reason why chef Matt Dillion has been on the cover of “Food & Wine;” he’s awesome. Some of the food was unusual, but it was all wonderful. I think there were about eight dishes. I won’t be able to do them justice in describing them, because I can’t identify the ingredients or techniques. But I can say they were all wonderfully fresh and intensely flavorful. We started out with oysters on the half-shell while wandering through the garden. At the table we had a prosciutto and vegetable salad, clams in a broth with bacon and chorizo, toasted rustic bread with rabbit pate, a salad of tomatoes and butter lettuce, poached salmon with fava beans, a main dish of rabbit with a green goddess sauce, platter of faro and morrells, baby fennel and tiny new carrots, ending with strawberries with 25-year old balsamic and a pecorino romano cheese. The meal was wonderfully paired with optional wines; a rose, two reds and a dessert wine. After dinner Matt came out to mingle with the guests and answer questions. It was a wonderful evening and I’d definitely recommend it. I work in the area and have been curious about the project, but I have no connection with the restaurant.

Anonymous said...

Gross. The bunny was the deal-breaker. I wish them luck but we will not be eating there.

JvA said...

Oh, no. The bunny photo is totally stolen. It's not from the Corson Building. I just threw it in there. I didn't mean for it to turn anyone away.

(Unless that makes it easier for me to get reservations in the future, hmm...)

They were serving rabbit, but I don't see what's wrong with that. It's not an endangered species; they're not factory farmed.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I used to live at 6700 Corson. I wish this restaurant would have been there at the time. I have heard only great reviews. Will have to come back and relive some memories of Georgetown.