Friday, July 25, 2008

Aki Kurose, Christian Restoration Center, Wedding Reception Locations?

Aki Kurose -- The troubled Aki Kurose Middle School is getting a new principal. Also, it looks like the Rainier Valley Post will not be getting answers from the Aki Kurose administration while investigations are underway.

Christian Restoration Center -- Is there still a ton of graffiti on the south-facing brick wall, the one overlooking the parking lot? I don't pass by there every day, so I don't always have the most up-to-date information on the situation there.

The developers told me this week that they've dealt with the graffiti on the back of the building three times, and as of Monday, there was none. And they're strategizing on the best way to deal with graffiti on the front of the building. But they haven't mentioned the side of the building, which is where I was seeing the most prominent problems.

Wedding Reception Locations Around Beacon Hill and Georgetown? -- A reader is looking for a place around Beacon Hill or Georgetown to hold her wedding reception next summer. I've suggested the Georgetown Ballroom. Does anyone else have any other ideas? Sounds like non-traditional venue suggestions, like art and/or industrial spaces, are welcome.

My Excuse for Lazy Blog Posting -- I've whined about all this before, but I might not be posting many photos or much original content over the next couple months. In the next four weeks, I plan to work full-time, attend four showers and three weddings, catch up on months of yardwork on two increasingly weed-choked lots, finish a nursery, and have a baby. (Girl, as yet unnamed.) But I plan to check in regularly and continue to link to other people's posts and newspaper articles, though.

8 comments:

John said...

I think the Garden Club on North Beacon Hill (2336 15th Ave S) is available for rental.

Chris said...

Another option for a reception that may be a bit quirky would be the Jefferson Park lawn bowling club. I believe you can still rent that out for events, which can include club members who will provide lawn bowling instruction. I also recall that they have some sort of liquor license available for an extra fee. The view can't be beat, as long as the majority of the reservoir construction has been completed by then.

Erik said...

grafitti on the CRC is as bad as it's ever been. It covers the windows facing 15th, the south brick side is full. I haven't walked the ally so i can't say. I'd rather they level it now until they figure out what they're going to do with it. Just by the tagging that's happening on the building across the street, I think that little corner is becoming a magnet for grafitti artests.

JVA - I know time's short with a little one on the way (and will get shorter) but keep up the great blog:)

litlnemo said...

I was going to suggest the Garden House as well. Here are some links about it:

http://www.wagardenclubs.org/hqhouse/hqhouse.htm

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Seattle_-_Beacon_Hill_-_2336_15th_S_-_01.jpg

uppergeorgetowner said...

I emailed the developer about CRC - I do walk by there everyday - re: the garbage and graffiti. I agree they should just fence it off and tear it down while they wait for permits. That said, it seems they would have started already - given that capital markets are tight, many construction projects in seattle are on hold. Note the lot in the next block south of CRC - it has been fenced off for three years and is full of garbage and brambles.

Jennifer said...

Re: the graffiti: what everyone else said. It's awful. I don't know why they bother with the graffiti on the back of the building because you can barely see it from Oregon. I'm with everyone else; they should fence it off and tear it down. And uppergeorgetowner is right, the lot one block south is awful, too. I know the owner of the coffee shop has been trying to get some answers about what is happening there, but has been able to do so (of course, my conversation with her about this was months ago, so maybe she knows more now).

Anonymous said...

Herban Feast in SODO is a beautiful space!

http://www.herbanfeast.com/photo-gallery.html

Karl said...

update on the CRC graffiti. I drove by today (7/30) and it was all gone, yeah! Now let's knocker down and put up something pretty!