Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cheap South End Fun: Museum of Communications

I'm in the middle of a five-month, mostly unpaid maternity leave, so I've been searching for cheap (or better yet, free) things to do nearby with the baby. Tuesday I went to the Museum of Communications in Georgetown.

IMG_2109

IMG_2111

Every Tuesday until 2 p.m., volunteers give free tours of this old telephone station.

IMG_2114

I'd tell you what I learned, but most of it went over my head. But still I had fun looking at all the displays of cool old stuff.

Cordless phone circa 1964.

IMG_2117

IMG_2118

Remember this voice?



The Museum of Communications is located in Georgetown at 7000 East Marginal Way South (at Corson), telephone 206-767-3012. Museum hours are Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and by appointment. The museum is handicap accessible. There is no charge for admission, but donations are gratefully accepted.

3 comments:

trellis said...

This is awesome! Who would've known this existed? I'm gonna have to tell my bro about this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I used to live right across the alley next door - I only wish they were open on weekends!

They even repaired our old phone when we took it over there!

Benjamin Lukoff said...

I love this museum, and recently wrote about it myself. I link to a great Flickr set, if you want to see even more awesome photos of the place. ~Ben Lukoff

PS to Old Foghi: you can also get in by appointment, so you're not stuck with Tuesday mornings.