Saturday, November 24, 2007

Kubota Garden

Kubota Garden is an old Japanese garden here in South Seattle. It's huge, it's free, it's in a bad neighborhood. It's supposedly haunted. Everything about it is unlikely.

IMG_2574

From the garden's website:

In 1927 Fujitaro Kubota bought five acres of logged-off swampland in the Rainier Beach neighborhood of Seattle and began his garden. A 1907 emigrant from the Japanese Island of Shikoku, he established the Kubota Gardening Company in 1923. Fujitaro was a man with a dream. Entirely self-taught as a gardener, he wanted to display the beauty of the Northwest in a Japanese manner and was soon designing and installing gardens throughout the Seattle area.


Enough talk. Let's look.

IMG_2584

IMG_2579

IMG_2591

IMG_2594

IMG_2597

IMG_2600

IMG_2602

IMG_2626

IMG_2642

IMG_2647

IMG_2656

IMG_2663

IMG_2665

IMG_2673

IMG_2676

IMG_2679

IMG_2682

IMG_2688

IMG_2690

IMG_2691

IMG_2694

IMG_2692

8 comments:

LMM said...

This is one of the first parks that Rick took me to while we were dating. We like to go fairly often, the updates are great, but the park is now popular, which in a way is sad, it was a great lonely/quite place. My children love the trees and the bridge. Glad that you added this to your photo essay blog.

chuck b. said...

Awesome! Take me there!

JvA said...

You got it! Come to Seattle, we'll go to Kubota.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I love this South End garden for its blend of Japanese and Cascadian elements.

Unknown said...

More pictures are at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Kubota_Garden

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this chance to "visit" the garden. I've always wanted to go there and haven't made it yet. I'm glad I found you!

Sheri Fresonke Harper said...

Hi, I saw this because I was writing about my visit there, I grew up on Beacon Hill, until I was in kindegarten. Thought I'd say hello!
:) Sheri

Anonymous said...

In the 80`s i would bring my two boys here. The boys loved to explore the area. I loved it for the peace &tranquility,not mention scenery. just recently I brought my two Favorite Aunties from Portland,Oregon. My family is from Hiroshima,Okaiyama,the Gardens hold a dear part of our heritage..