Sunday, July 8, 2007

Rainier, Oregon

Friday night we had a couple drinks in Rainier, Oregon. Whenever I'm in a rural town, I like to look for the oldest tavern and check it out.

It looks like this might be it.

IMG_5618

It's even part of an old hotel -- perfect.

IMG_5619

The Alaskan tap is dry, unfortunately, so I get a Labatt's.

IMG_5620

Ashtrays! I remember ashtrays. I wonder how long it will be before Oregon bans smoking in public.

IMG_5622

This tavern is old.

IMG_5623

Video poker and also karaoke in the back.

IMG_5624

We're hungry, so we head to El Tapatio (which means Guadalajaran man, by the way) for some nachos. As we admire this mural, we catch a girl whom we'd seen at the tavern doing the exact same karaoke song at this place too. Something about being from the bookdocks and going to church on Sunday. She's followed by a man who sings "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy." Yee-haw!

IMG_5627

5 comments:

chuck b. said...

Maybe Loretta Lynn played there before she moved back to Tennessee.

JvA said...

Maybe! She lived in Eastern Washington, right?

chuck b. said...

I don't remember which part of Washington she lived in. I guess we'll have to watch that movie again. I loved the Portland Oregon on her last album.

chuck b. said...

That last picture looks very R. Crumb like doesn't it? If you like big tits, you should check out Bazongas by a dude named Kovic. I wrote a review for I can't remember which volume. Just outrageously huge tits.

Anonymous said...

My name is Roger Gidney, i graduated from Rainier High in 1970' and my dad George Gidney spent alot of time in " The Ol Pastime " before his untimely death in 1976' at the ripe old age of 51 years old. I now live in Victorville, California ( high desert ), but i will always feel a strong attachment to my old home town of Rainier, Oregon!