Saturday, July 14, 2007

Tour of the Rainier Brewery Cold Storage Building

Sabey Corporation has been offering tours of the old Rainier Brewery's Cold Storage Building in Georgetown. It's over 100 years old, and before Prohibition, it was the 6th largest brewery in the world. I signed up for a 9 a.m. tour and took a bazillion snapshots.

I don't have time to write about the tour, but I'm sure the Paper Noose will provide some sharp commentary later on. (I saw his name on the list for the afternoon tour.) But anyway, here are some of the photos.

IMG_5967

IMG_5968

IMG_5969

IMG_5971

IMG_5975

IMG_5976

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.

IMG_5979

They made us all wear hardhats because of falling bricks.

IMG_5984

IMG_5986

IMG_5993

IMG_5996

IMG_5999

As my friend Heather, a civil engineer, would say: "Engineering sadness."

IMG_6000

IMG_6002

IMG_6007

IMG_6009

IMG_6017

IMG_6022

IMG_6026

IMG_6029

Even though we were supposed to spend the evening at home, cleaning the house, we went out for dinner here last night. Bison burger, salad, and Georgetown Brewing's Chopper Red Ale. I half-drunkenly text-messaged friends all over the country, asking them to join us. (No one did.) Then we went home and walked around the neighborhood, and a neighbor invited us for a beer on their lawn. Nice!

IMG_6037

IMG_6042

IMG_6048

IMG_6050

IMG_6055

IMG_6056

IMG_6058

IMG_6061

IMG_6064

I often find myself wishing that I had a sweet SLR instead of just a little point-and-shoot. That feeling is particularly acute at this moment.

IMG_6065

IMG_6066

IMG_6075

IMG_6076

IMG_6079

IMG_6081

IMG_6082

The swanky new Via Tribunali pizza place is going in here.

IMG_6083

Our house is right behind some of those trees at the top of the hill.

IMG_6089

Another woman on the tour asked me to take this photo, as she works in the red-roofed school there on the hill. (If you are that woman, and you are reading this right now, you can click on the photo and download a larger size if you like.)

IMG_6097

IMG_6102

IMG_6104

IMG_6105

IMG_6109

IMG_6116

IMG_6144

IMG_6148

IMG_6149

IMG_6150

It's tempting.

IMG_6152

IMG_6159

The end!

IMG_6161

7 comments:

chuck b. said...

That was fun. Were the spiral stairs built into the wall like that, or the wall built onto the stairs? I couldn't tell. Very strange.

If I give you my phone number, will you send me text messages too? I love text messages. I love that commercial with the little girl who talks to her mom in TM-ese.

I always spell every word out because I don't know the TM-ese. I feel like that's kind of contrived at this point. I mean it's not like anyone would think I don't know proper English if I used the shorthand. It's pretty clear I know English.

JvA said...

I think the stairs were built onto the wall.

Yes, I will text-message you if you give me your phone number. You are my blog mentor! But I'm not sure how you will give me your phone number.

chuck b. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JvA said...

Cool! I'll drunkenly text-message you sometime. Can you get photos on your phone? I'll probably send you a cell phone photo of some drinks on the table at a bar, followed by a text message about how much I am loving the Black Sabbath or Three Dog Night or whatever song is on the jukebox.

chuck b. said...

I can't get pictures on my phone. Not that I know of. I guess we could test that.

Anonymous said...

In love with these photos. Will you email me please at dan(atsign)seattlest.com? Can't figure out how else to contact you.

JvA said...

Aw, thanks. I e-mailed you. Let me know if you didn't get my message.