Saturday, May 12, 2007

Lunchtime in Georgetown

We've not been to Hangar Cafe before, but I had a good feeling about it because I'd seen goats there before. I tend to like cafes that people feel comfortable taking their goats to.

Oh, look, they have wine, God bless them.

IMG_2993

IMG_2991

I couldn't take my eyes off the painting on the gate.

IMG_2995

It's stunning.

IMG_3000

We bummed around the residential part of Georgetown after that. I chatted with the guy who created this arbor.

IMG_3004

He's lived there a couple years with his wife and their baby. He's a landscape architect, though he doesn't always use that term. He said when he first moved in, the yard was nothing but chain-link fence and a dog run.

IMG_3005

He was totally fine with me taking all these photos.

IMG_3006

IMG_3007

I'd bet you a million dollars that this is his truck.

IMG_3010

IMG_3011

IMG_3012

IMG_3013

IMG_3014

IMG_3018

IMG_3015

I have to go now, but I also have photos of the haunted Georgetown Castle, the Hat & Boots park, some basalt sculpture, and more Depression-era clothes made from flour sacks!

2 comments:

chuck b. said...

I'm not feeling this place so much as the Ciscoe Morris Garden.

JvA said...

It's more charming in context.

Ciscoe's place is literally a TV show garden, in a neighborhood of proper mid-century homes in north Seattle, where not a link of steel fencing can be seen in anyone's yard.

This place is just a few blocks from an airport; across the street from a loud-barking dog behind some chain-link fence; and on the same block as a pair of giant cowboy boots, some sex-offender housing, and a haunted castle. (Though hopefully it won't also soon be a few blocks from a brand-new dump, if we can make our case to the city on that.)

The sense of humor that this gardener displays seems highly appropriate for the site.