Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Chuck's Garden

When I told Chuck B., the San Francisco garden/neighborhood blogger who inspired me to start this blog, that we were coming to the Bay Area for a few days and wanted to meet up with him, he insisted that we stay with him and his boyfriend at their exquisitely remodeled house in Bernal Heights. When I tried to resist, he told me that San Francisco hotels are infested with bedbugs and that I really did need to stay with them. So we did. They were excellent hosts, and my only regret about our stay is that everything about my own house and garden seems so totally wrong now. Anyway...

I spent yesterday morning tooling around Chuck's "My Back 40 (Feet)" garden, thinking I would be the envy of the entire American garden blogging community when I posted these photos proving I had been there. (And I am so unworthy of the honor that I can't even identify most of these plants, even though he told me their names a dozen times each.)

IMG_3913

IMG_3915

IMG_3916

IMG_3917

IMG_3918

IMG_3919

IMG_3923

IMG_3924

IMG_3928

IMG_3926

IMG_3930

IMG_3931

IMG_3934

IMG_3939

IMG_3938

IMG_3940

IMG_3941

IMG_3944

IMG_3945

IMG_3956

IMG_3961

After the garden tour, Chuck, who must have been quite sick of us by then, agreed to cart us around the city and take us to the airport.

First we went to the Golden Gate Park Botanical Gardens, where he knew the staff by name.

IMG_3970

IMG_3975

IMG_3976

I'm tempted to try to grow Gunnera, but I don't think we have a good place for it -- our yard is too hot and sunny and windy.

IMG_3978

IMG_3982

The Julia Phelps Ceanothus is a few weeks ahead of ours in Seattle.

IMG_3992

Then Chuck took us to Valencia/Mission, where he took a ton of photos and I just shot some street art.

IMG_3997

IMG_3998

IMG_3999

IMG_4002

IMG_4003

Thanks for everything, Chuck and Guy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am certainly envious that you got to meet Chuck in person! I really wanted him to join us in Austin for the Garden Bloggers Spring Fling, but San Francisco couldn't spare him. It sounds like you all had a good visit.

Anonymous said...

What is the name of that red flowering plant in the first photo?? I must have one.

Anonymous said...

Check out the hooks on that cactus!! And the flowers on it are lovely! I hope to someday see the cactuses in bloom in Tucson....

Kim

lisa said...

Wow, Chuck's garden looks absolutely as cool in your pics as it does in his...you are so lucky! For anonymous: that's echium wildprettii, and wow, those blooms are awesome! (I like the street art pics, too!)

Annie in Austin said...

Getting to see a personal garden and meet the garden blogger apparently made this a special vacation, JVA - thanks for sharing the story and photos, even though you've made us all jealous!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose