Tuesday, April 8, 2008

New Blog Header

Wow. Someone I've never met before sent me this amazing new header for my blog. Wow. I love it.

mbh-blog-logo

His name is Mark, and I think he's a Georgetowner, and he says he got the image from this photo that I posted at some point in the last year. He said it was a thank-you for all the work I've done on the blog. Aww...

The sign in the photo, which I don't remember taking, says 16th Avenue South, so it must be on Beacon Hill somewhere, looking west toward the Olympics. (Probably North Beacon Hill instead of Mid Beacon Hill, but very much close enough!)

I need to try and fix the box that surrounds it so it fits the image instead of stretching to the width of the page. But not tonight.

Thank you, Mark!!! I will try to live up to my new image.

UPDATE: I've removed the super-lovely header from the top of my blog for the time being since the shot that it was taken from does not belong to me, but rather to the talented litlnemo. (No wonder I didn't remember taking it!) She graciously posted the photo with a Creative Commons license, and she said I can still use it if I use proper attribution. (Thank you!) So I will either do that or use one of my own inferior shots, which I feel would better represent the content you normally find here (inferior, but mostly original). Thanks again to everyone for being so generous with their talents!

15 comments:

xiojason said...

I thought that looked familiar:
http://flickr.com/photos/litlnemo/722837491/

Feel free to use with with credit as it's under an Attribution CC license.

JvA said...

No wonder I don't remember taking it! It's an AMAZING photo, and I think I would remember feeling really proud of it. :)

Let me figure this all out. I certainly didn't mean to misappropriate litlnemo's incredible photo work.

Thanks for pointing this out, Jason!

litlnemo said...

Yup, that's my photo. I'd request that you link to the original location that jason posted above, instead of reposting the entire image in your Flickr stream--and please do give me credit as that's what my Creative Commons license requires. But as long as you do that you are welcome to use it as a banner.

It is North Beacon Hill, yes. :) Taken last July 4.

litlnemo said...

Oh, and thanks for the nice comments on the photo. :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Perfect photo for this blog!

JvA said...

I'm going to see if there's anything of my own that would work 1/100th as well as your incredible shot, as -- for better or for worse -- an original picture would be more representative of the content here than a borrowed shot. We'll see.

But thanks so much for your generosity in posting this photo under the Creative Commons license. Would you want the credit styled "Credit: litlnemo" with the header linked to that Flickr page?

Thanks also for being so gracious about this misunderstanding! :) I'll take down the header from the top of the blog until I get it fixed (and I'll delete my copy of your photo on Flickr), but, if you don't mind, I will leave this post here for the historical record.

JvA said...

BTW, litlnemo, you and my husband (who played bass for the Posies, oh, nearly twenty years ago) know each other from way back. He says you went to a Nirvana show together, were neighbors, etc.

He's supposed to play a song at the reunion show at Neumo's next month. If you're going, I'll buy you a beer!

litlnemo said...

Oh, that credit would be fine. I'm thrilled for you to use the picture -- that's why I put the CC license on it. :) Thanks!

Whoa, I know your husband! I had no idea that was who you are married to! I remember that Nirvana show well. It was on Steamboat Island, in a grange hall. Beat Happening was the opening band and I think the Melvins were the headliners. 3 or 4 of us carpooled down there in my 1970 Mazda. (Which I bought from someone on mid-Beacon Hill. Ha.)

I am planning to go to the show for sure. I will probably see you there!

xiojason said...

And I'll take that beer, since she won't drink it. :)

Anonymous said...

your husband was in the posies? I saw them play live MANY times at nearly every pre, grunge and post grunge era venue in town. I remember one bass player the best though - Rick Roberts - blond Rick. That must have been early 90s.
Anyway, I like the blog header a lot.

JvA said...

Jason -- You got it! See you there.

UGT -- Yeah, he doesn't go by his old nickname Rick anymore, but that's my man.

Anonymous said...

I ran your blog through the blog cuss-o-meter and you only got a 9.4%.

More cussin', please.

LMM said...

Wow! My neighbors are supper cool, I knew they were way cool, but not supper cool. I like the this new header very much.

Anonymous said...

When is that Nuemos show? -- Pat of Ballard

JvA said...

I think it's on Saturday, May 17. I wrote it down at work. I bet it's on the Neumo's calendar.